Take a Day Off

takeadayoff

Take a day off.

Your brain needs rest.

Close your computer. Turn your phone off.

Rest.

I'm not a religious person, but it's true when God says we need to take a day of rest. Whether it be the seventh day or the second day, step away from the world and relax. As much as I love working (and I do really love working) I usually take Saturdays off with absolutely NO work. Sunday is technically a day off, but I still get everything together for the week on that day, so it's really not a day off. I find if I skip Saturdays it messes up my whole week. I get crabby, tired, and I lack inspiration. It's not worth it!

Everything that needs to be done, will be there when you get back. The world won't end in a day.

The world won't forget you either.

Be sure to take care of yourself.

Sleep in.
Meet up with friends.
Hang out in the park and do nothing but make wishes with dandelions.
Lay on the sofa and watch cheesy movies.
Go for a run, or take a yoga class.
Get a massage.
Get a pedicure.
Make cookies.
Eat cookies.
Take a nap.
Play a game of checkers or hey, even poker.
Read a trashy book.
Sit in the sun (don't forget sunblock).
Go for a hike in the woods.
Watch a movie in the cinema.

Do anything, but work.

You never know how you can get inspired by resting. Resting is just as important of working, so make sure you do it regularly.

And we'll see you soon!

[Image credit: Shutterstock.com]

1. Edgify Me

Amen!

I am a religious person and observe the sabbath every Saturday. I turn off my phone, computer, TV and take time out to read, spend time with my family and friends and just relax. It’s the best gift you can give yourself. Great post!

• Jennine Jacob

That’s awesome. I’ve always been inspired by the practice of observing Sabbath. It’s very specific, and really geared towards resting… which I think can be taken into practice no matter what you believe!

2. Jessica Brookman (@jessicabrookman)

The single best piece of advice for anyone who does any work on the internet. It seems to constantly follow us around and if we aren’t conscientious about unplugging once in a while, it can certainly overwhelm us and drive us to burnout.

another thing I have started doing is not having any electronics in my room when i sleep. that way, even if i wake up in the middle of the night i’m not tempted to read emails, etc…

🙂

3. Jackie

I’m having a whole 6 days off at Easter. …and I can’t wait …I’ll be doing most of the above (except the making wishes with dandelions – too much snow!) :o)

Jackie @ Minerva Collection Handbags&Jewellery

4. Chaucee from Streets and Stripes

I get the same way when I don’t get enough rest. Taking a break isn’t something that’s usually encouraged in our society. I wish we had time for an afternoon tea, or a midday hookah break :P, but it’s constant work work work on this side of the sea. A friend gently reminded me that I needed to take a break, and it’s something that’s kind of saved my energy .

5. E-M

Oh I agree with this article so much! I think it’s the most important thing! I personally love to sleep long, eat well and just sit and watch some TV series with my hubby 🙂 It’s the best way to spend your day off! 🙂

6. Elizabeth McKinnon

It is very hard to do, even when I’m off I am thinking of my next blog post… Lol
    Coocoo4coco.blogspot.com

7. Taylor D

Blogging has never felt like a job for me so I don’t realize that I need to take a break from it until I reach a part that I’m extremely bored of it. That’s when I take a day off so I can refresh.

8. Labaronnec

That is wise talk, but I can’t imagine myself turning off my phone for a whole day! Do you have any advices for me ?

9. Chelsey

This is so important. Between working full-time and maintaining a blog schedule, I often find it very hard to just rest. I recently made myself do absolutely nothing blog-related for an entire weekend, and it was such a good decision. I felt at ease, it gave me more energy to blog once my rest days were over, and I remembered how important it was to just have “me” time.

10. Shweghna Gursahaney

While reading Eat Pray Love, I learned a lot about how important it gets to keep in touch with god once in a while.
    Amazing post!