How Travel Can Grow Your Blog Network

Most of us have had the internet for the better part of our lives and social media for so long we don’t remember life without it. We understand how to use it to pitch brands, find readers and collaborate with fellow bloggers. But I’ve discovered another fabulous use for your blog and social media: Using it to enrich your travel experience anywhere in the world.

travelingblog1

This isn’t about traveling for free, though certainly you can research plenty of travel hacker blogs that will help you with just that. Rather it’s about making travel more rewarding and creating relationships anywhere in the world built on common ground. After spending two months in London over the winter, where I am again this spring, here are my tips:

6-12+ Months Before:

• Decide where you’d like to go. Let’s say Spain, Barcelona specifically, but it can be anywhere.
  • Do a Bing search for blogs there. These can be fellow style blogs or other types of lifestyle or blogs that are of interest to you. Slowly start to develop friendships there and see if a couple of them truly develop.
  • Start a list on Twitter to follow interesting people located there, search on Instgram and see if you can find any private Facebook groups to be a part of either in the fashion industry, entrepreneurs or other hobbies and groups you’re active in.
  • Spread the word that you’re looking for contacts there, share it on your Facebook profile, add it to the signature of your email, bring up your plans in social conversations. With study abroad programs, professionals traveling for work, expats all over the world, you likely have more connections through your friends than you realize.

2 Weeks Before You Leave:

• Plan a meet-up. Announce on your blog and social media that you’ll be at a central bar for drinks if anyone wants to swing by and perhaps confirm that a few of your closer contacts will indeed to able to make it.
  • Invite yourself to events. When you’re new in town, it doesn’t feel rude, but charmingly cheeky to ask if there might be anything happening that weekend or any meet-ups you might stop by.

When You’re In Town:

• Keep in touch with those contacts and continue to say hello to more on social media. Once people know you’re in town they’re all the more likely to invite you along to something.
  • Exchange contact with new friends you meet so your circle continues to grow.

Some of my favorite friends in blogging are the London girls I met leading up to my extended trip in the winter. When we met in person it felt like we’d been friends in real life for years. Running a blog is like an introductory post card to anywhere in the world you’d like to visit and one of the greatest blessings I never expected when I launched mine.

Have you met friends elsewhere in the world through your blog? Where would you like to go and which first step will you take to start seeking new friends there?

travelingblog1[Image source: Shutterstock.com]

1. Hope Howland

I love this idea!!! It’s genius!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

• Hilary Rushford | Dean Street Society

Thanks Hope! Happy wanderlusting lady! 😉

with grace & gumption, Hilary

• Hilary Rushford | Dean Street Society

Millie, my advice is to start to follow other girls from NYC on blogs & social media. Follow girls you feel a genuine connection to & have something in common with, so the focus is on building an organic friendship. People get a lot of invites, so I personally find it’s most effective to build friendships & then people want to make a point to meet-up. I know even when I’m in London, I don’t have time to meet-up with everyone I’ve connected with online, & my focus goes to those girls I have the most genuine friendships with.

Happy traveling m’dear! And you must check out the shopping along 5th Avenue in Park Slope, Brooklyn while you’re here. 🙂

with grace & gumption, Hilary

• Alexandra

Hi Millie! I’m in NYC and would love to meet or offer any tips/tricks for the city. I’m excited for your adventure – you’ll have a blast! xx

• Z

Hi Millie, I’m also a blogger from London, going to New York at the end of May!
      Maybe we could meet up and tackle it together!

Send me a message if you’re interested!

2. Filipa

Great article! I hope I’ll go to Vienna this summer and you gave me a perfect idea of how to meet new blogger friends and help my blog grow.
    I think I’ll make a list of my fave bloggers that live there and try to contact and meet them. I’m sure it’ll be fun 🙂

xx

3. Rachel

I’m a London blogger currently living in Los Angeles. I’m originally from the countryside, so it was nice moving to London for the first time when I knew no one I already had people I knew there through blogging, and blogging events also helped me make friends. As for coming out to Los Angeles, some of the best friends I have made out here have been people like photographers where one of us has approached the other to collaborate!

• Hilary Rushford | Dean Street Society

Rachel, that’s a fabulous idea! I didn’t mention that through my networking I also collaborated with two photographers on shoots during my trip. Those both came from one good friend I’d made organically through the #StyleMe Instagram Challenge I host. Collaborations are definitely a wonderful idea to put out there when you’re traveling or in a new place!

with grace & gumption, Hilary

4. A Bird's Leap

I moved from Finland to San Jose, CA last fall, and was happy to find a blogger in SF who has a similar blog! Instafriends.

J

5. Shug Avery

Such a handy post ! I will be living for 6 months in Munich, Germany for an internship there and was wondering how I could meet bloggers living there.

I am going to use your advices to connect with fellow bloggers when I’ll be there. The comments some girls left will also be useful for my new life there.

Thanks a lot !

Shug Avery of Incognito

6. Kenneth Jacobs

I’ve never really thought about it that way. I’m planning a trip to Tel Aviv, Israel this August (if I’m still working with the airline I’m with) and I’ll definitely apply this concept to my next trip! Would even love to make new fashion friends while I’m there too!

7. Bridget Lappert

Thank you for posting this! I’m actually going to London this summer. Great tips!

8. Elizabeth McKinnon

Great idea… Can’t wait to use it on my next trip….
    Coocoo4coco.blogspot.com

9. Oksana Radionova

Wow, what perfect timing! My husband and I are currently planning a 5-6 month trip {starting next month!} around Europe and Russia, and I’ve been brainstorming!

I already have several blogger friends I plan to meet up with while I’m in Paris, Amsterdam, Portugal… But I’m always looking to connect with new bloggers/photographers. So if you’re in London/Prague/Rome/Athens/Munich/Madrid area, do reach out, as I’ll be in the area this spring/summer! XOXO

10. Laura

That’s great advice! I’m actually planning to go to LA during June/July, it would be great to connect with other bloggers whilst I’m there!

11. Sissy

Hey all! I’m going on an around the world backpacking trip starting May 1st 😀 Super excited!
    Anyway! I read the article and the comments n was surprised that I didn’t see this anywhere…!

I’m doing a photoshoot (free! errr TFCD based but same dif) in every city that I am visiting!
    I LOVE ME SOME http://WWW.MODELMAYHEM.COM !!! Without this site I wouldnt be able to do this. Super excited–I just booked some shoots in Cali and Tokyo 🙂

Follow my blog to follow my travels! I blog about fashion, travel, art and music 🙂

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!