This week, we're going to do something a little different. We're going to do a group workshop on writing post titles. Take a look at the Glamour magazine cover above, the titles are designed to catch your attention on a newsstand. It has all the components that make a great blog post title (numbered list, “power words,” controversy, makes a promise, solves a probelm..etc). What's more, is once you get practice writing sexy post titles becomes second nature. Becoming an expert at writing post titles is not only fun and easy, helps your blog in several ways:
- Increases your traffic
- It's a great marketing tool on social media and SEO
- It tells your readers what your post is about
- It helps you clarify your point
Last week, I wrote a post about how to write post titles that increase your traffic, and thought to take it one step further and set up a mini workshop on how to improve your individual post titles.
Crafting a great post tile may take a few more minutes, but to tell the truth, it's worth every second.
Crafting a great post tile may take a few more minutes, but to tell the truth, it's worth every second. All it takes is practice and paying attention to your analytics to see what works with your audience the best.
Read: Posts that help your titles
Why reinvent the wheel? Many bloggers before you have struggled with the issue of growing their blog and traffic. Here are a few posts I've found helpful to learn the craft of post titles (including the one on IFB):
- 10 Quick Tips to Write Post Titles the Boost Your Traffic
- How to Write Magnetic Headlines
- How to Craft Post Titles that Draw Readers to Your Blog
- 9 Ways to Write Killer Post Titles That Convert
- Are Your Titles Irresistibly Click-Worthy?
- 62 Post Titles to Defeat Writer's Block
Take what information resonates with you, and integrate it in your post title!
Now, the Workshop!
It's simple… read all the links above, and craft a traffic-driving post title for your next post.
- Submit your link to the widget below.
- On Sunday, I will pick the top five most compelling post titles, and five post titles that need work (and why).
- Remember, it's not just your post title, your content has to reflect the title.
- On Monday, I will write a post dissecting why the post titles work, and why they don't.
- Be sure to let me know in the comments below about your experience writing the post title: Was it easier/harder than you thought? Was the title effective in peaking interest from your readers? How did your post title affect your post?
Now, submit your link! Only posts dated April 15th, 2013 or later will be considered for critique.
[Image credit: Glamour.com]