What Bikinis Can Teach You About Blog Business

bikini

Believe it or not, bikinis can teach you more than how to freak out before summer starts.

In the internet world, it seems like everything is free. You can use Facebook for free, Twitter, Pinterest… you can even set up your blog for free. There are free photos you can use in the Public Domain, and free fonts, free news and free magazine access. It's almost like a utopia where money doesn't matter. Or does it?

It starts to matter when you need to pay your rent and you need to decide if spending time online is worth it when you don't get paid for the work you put into it. But putting up a paywall for your blog when you have even 1,000 visitors a day can dramatically decrease your readership. So, what can you do?

…putting up a paywall for your blog when you have even 1,000 visitors a day can dramatically decrease your readership. So, what can you do?

That's where the Bikini Concept comes in.

The Bikini Concept is where you show off 80 or 90% of your work, but keep the “goods” under wraps.

• If you're a photographer, share your photos online, but keep the best for galleries and books.
  • If you're a writer, share your writing, but charge for your books, and articles.
  • If you're stylist, share your style, but save your services for your clients.
  • If you're a consultant, share your general tips, but keep the real knowledge for your clients.

You get the drift.

You see this theory in action on many websites: you can use Facebook and Twitter for free, but advertising will cost you. You can have a free LinkedIn account, but to get introduced to people you don't know will cost you. On ProBlogger the blog is free, but the forums, eBooks and the webinars cost money. IFB's content is free, but our conference is is not.

The Bikini Concept allows for you to build trust with your potential clients and customers in an internet-friendly way.

The Bikini Concept allows for you to build trust with your potential clients and customers in an internet friendly way. You are giving them something for free, so they know the quality of work you do. When they decide they just can't live without your services, then paying for them isn't a problem. You've earned it!

So when you're thinking about how to structure you business, think about what you can offer that people will pay for, then think about how you can share this for free without hurting your business by revealing the “goods”.

[Image Credit: Shutterstock.com]

1. Seepz

Wow! This is such a great way to look at it! It makes much more sense with the analogy you used. Time to get the thinking hat on. 🙂

~ Seepz
    That Sassy Girl

2. Ashe

As bloggers, we get told so often to make every post our best post, to give our even better posts to other bloggers (as guest posts), and frankly… I love the idea of setting the bar a little bit lower (good & great), so that we have BEST as something to offer elsewhere.

Afterall, we can only grow and do so much within a blog itself… and if we use up our BEST on the site, it doesn’t leave us many options to bring (to brand collaborations, as freelancers, in developing products, etc).

3. Krystal Orr

I totally agree with this post! So many times we give up the goods, but our moms always taught us “why buy the cow when you get the milk for free!” I have been thinking about ways in which I can develop a new stream of income through my blog and writing, and monetizing my expertise is at the top of my list! Thanks for this article! It let’s me know that this thought process isn’t greedy, but smart.

4. Kathleen Lisson

This brings up an important point about your conference. I wondered why there weren’t more brands involved and then I saw that you charged such high prices for them to attend – pricing smaller, local NYC brands totally out of attending. I know your goal is to make a profit, but it would be very useful for bloggers to be able to connect with brands willing to start a relationship.

• Jennine Jacob

You are talking about corporate tickets. No, they are more expensive for two reasons, 1. Because I do not want to perpetuate the idea that bloggers work is free or cheap to brands, and the people representing brands who come to the conference do not try to take advantage of the bloggers (which was a problem when they were the same price) 2. Because the brands sponsoring the event pay to have access to bloggers.
        It’s not uncommon to charge more for corporate tickets, especially if it’s used to raise money to keep the blogger tickets lower.

Hope that helps!

5. Wilma Bullo

It is definitely an eye opener. Every time I write my post, I give my best foot forward to give my readers my best knowledge. This made me realize, I have to save something for myselft and for my client too. Thanks. 🙂

Wilma
    ohsopetite.com
    Bloglovin

6. Eli Guerrero

Nice comparison!

That strategy is called “Freemium model”: start using my “products/services” for free and pay for advanced ones. Usually, just 1%-4%* of users become customers, so our pricing plans must be designed keeping this number in mind. (1% is a normal figure; 4% is a really good conversion rate (Dropbox has a 4%)).

Eli Guerrero
    Barcelona Fashion Stylist

7. bikinis

i never thought that bikinis are going to teach you, after reading this i changed my view thanks for the article.

8. Jasmin Williams

WOW! Nice to read. It shows how deep you think and come out with an idea that even bikini can teach you. Very well explained. Appreciate your effort.