What Do YOU Want From Your Readers?

shutterstock_129551171

When you start your blog, you think about what you want from your blog. You think about what kind of content you want to create. You think about what kind of design you want, what kind of logo you want… all of which are very important.

But have you thought about what you want from your readers.

Is it just enough that they come to your site? That they read your blog posts?

Do you want them to comment?

Do you want them to say nice things to you or about you?

Do you want them to click onΒ  your links?

Do you want them to buy your products?

Do you want them to be your friends?

Do you want them to link to you from their blogs?

Do you want them to make you a cake and serve you breakfast in bed?

OK… the last one may be going a little too far. But it serves a purpose. We spend so much time thinking about what we think our readers might want, but how much time do we think about what we want from our readers?

It's just as important to think about what you want from your readers as any other element of your blog. Knowing what kind of readers you want and what actions you want them to take will shape your content to help meet your goals. How are you communicating what you want your readers to do if you don't know what you want from them?

Sooo… what do YOU want from your readers?

How does it affect your content?

[Image credit: Shutterstock.com]

1. Amanda Marie

I have started to think about this exact thing and I think I want my readers to like and appreciate the content I post. I also would like them to comment and provide feedback on what they would like to see.

2. Mark Alexander

Thank you! I think that’s the question I failed to ask myself when I started. A bit more engagement and appreciation on social media is what I’m after πŸ™‚

3. Shannon

I may be about to get myself blacklisted for this one, but I don’t spend that much time thinking about what my readers want from me. I post what I like. I write content that expresses how I feel. I share my feelings openly and then I hope and I pray that the right readers find and appreciate what I’ve put out that day. I spend more time thinking about what I want from myself and what I want from my readers than I do anything else.

So what do I want from my readers?
    Acceptance, friendship, compassion, understanding (not much right, ha). If they click on a link to something I may make money from, BONUS! Comments are always amazing. It’s great to know that there’s someone out there reading what I’m writing and enjoying it.

4. Shannon

So what do I want from my readers?

5. Irina Dorn

This is a great point! I try to think of what my readers want to read, and how to make it interesting, and then figure out how to incorporate what I want from them into it (links, follow, comment). Still, I don’t want to compromise my content, but as a blogger, I have to make money.
    The best way is to keep it as seamless and authentic as possible.
    I wouldn’t mind some tips on how to engage my readers even more and have them share my content, not just comment or like.
    I love that someone mentioned that they want to get their readers inspired. That just might be key to everything!!!
    xoxo,
    Irina

6. Oh K

I think I think of my readers by using a genuine voice. But I do that for the both of is. I think my readers (I don’t have many haha) and I both enjoy the same things therefore we are sharing output with each other.

But what do I want from my readers?
    cake, comments, input, genuine interaction!

7. Audrey

I think I want my readers to be inspired by me and my looks. I first started a blog because I was so inspired by the looks of other bloggers, I thought if I could take someone’s breath away like that, it would be amazing. I also don’t want them to be afraid to talk to me. Tell me what they like, don’t like, or want to see.

Of course, my main goal is cake and breakfast in bed. Isn’t this the purpose of fashion blogging?

(I would first need readers to accomplish any of the above things, so don’t hesitate to become one of the first)

thesarcasticwasian.blogspot.com

8. Monika Faulkner

Darn…I thought this article was going to give us some hints to help us actually GET more engagement from our readers!! I guess there’s no secret formula though; being “real” and being consistent (and persistent!) is probably the only way to go. Eventually, readers who love what you love will find their way to you; ideally, with some influential friends in tow!!

9. Beverly Catherine

I think I would like more comments as I feel when I publish a post I am left in the dark because I don’t get much to no comments on it , which is not the greatest . But I think that it I think that it is important for me to carry on as I do get views so I think that makes up for the lack of comments .

Beverly | Beverlysbit.blogspot.com

10. Jeanine Marie

I want all of the above….Mostly I would like to meet a nice group of supportive bloggers who can inspire me to be the best blogger I can be. Not too many bloggers where I am so the online community is where I seek friendships.

Jeanine Marie
    avalonandkelly.com

11. Toyosi

I want to create conversations and connections with my readers. I want to hear their opinions and feedback on things that I post.

12. Lauren Martin

I think just posting relevant and engaging content that I think people will enjoy is enough for me. It would be nice to get more feedback sometimes but I often have people when i see them in person tell me how much they enjoy my blog. Which is nice and sometimes unexpected.
    -Lauren M

13. Lix

I want interaction, mainly, and eventually I’d like to build a readership that wants to buy what I sell (graphic design services, photography products, that fashion/accessory line I’ve been working on). I haven’t quite figured out how to encourage those things, though.

14. maddie

Great question! I want two things from my readers. First, I want them to leave my blog feeling like they have something they didn’t before they came to my site. Inspired, I hope that they spread the word about my blog to other friends and bloggers. This helps me shape my content by making sure that each one of my blog posts provides some sort of information or inspiration.

15. Debra Barretta

I basically write for myself. I know that sounds selfish. I want to be true to myself and build credibility with my readers. I have a small following, but they mean so much. πŸ™‚ Hopefully I leave them feeling inspired.

Debra@stylewisebydebra.com

16. Ashley

I want my readers to feel comfortable enough on my blog to become my friend, not just a commenter, and it wouldn’t hurt if they clicked all the links and bought a product every now and then!

xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

17. Gemma Savage

I’ve read all the comments on this post and there are so many valued points and I feel the overall view point is to know you are not blogging to your self and that people are actually reading and appreciating your blog. I like to think some of my post offer a chance for conversation even if they don’t agree with me (perhaps this would offer the chance for me to learn something from my readers).

On another note: What I would love from you is to check out my blog and let me know what you think. And maybe, just maybe comment.