Well, “perfect” is subjective… but when I first started blogging, finding my groove as to how to consistently write blog posts took a while. In fact, crafting successful posts is a job that never gets one. However, I will share my formula for creating blog posts for now!
I always write a post title first. Even if it's not the “final” post title, any title reflecting the finished post is a good place to start. Even if the “title” is one word, usually the keyword/subject I want to focus on. Writing a post title in the beginning helps to set an intention for the post. It helps keep the post focused on the particular topic.
Post titles can do a lot more than introduce your post. They are the first impression for readers that come in from search engines. If you have a snappy post title, more people will be prone to click on your link. Don't know how to write post titles? Don't fret! There are tried and true tricks to help!
- Keep your post title short and sweet
- Use “power words” like “easy” “fast” “free” “quick” “simple”
- Use numbers (for list posts)
- Make a promise, for example: “How to get rid of muffin top forever!”
- Include verbs in your post title
Write in a way your post gets read
Do you have a feeling your readers aren't reading your posts? There's a couple of ways to fix that. Maybe you don't have enough images, or maybe you have too many images. Maybe your text is hard to read. Maybe you aren't getting to the point until half way down the post.
- Use bullets & numbered lists to make your post scanable
- Use blockquotes to highlight important quotes/text in your post
- Be careful your paragraphs aren't too long
For more tips to give your post more read appeal, click here.
Add a image to illustrate your post
You can have a post without images. That said, without images your written content has to be excellent. Not to say your written content isn't excellent… but the internet generation, especially the fashion focused one, loves pictures. An image will give your reader enough information to decide whether or not they want to read the post. Especially in fashion, great imagery… that's what the industry is built off of!
- Can't take your own photos? Don't have a subscription to a stock service? Use these resources for free images to use.
- Don't have a photographer? Here's how to take self portraits.
- How do you pick the right photo? Use this tutorial.
Add in links
Whether you use affiliate links or not (if you don't know which affiliate companies to use, click here), even if you don't link out off your site, you should be linking to other posts within your blog. Linking to other posts helps your readers stay on your blog, it also helps improve your SEO. It's a total win/win. Be sure you have links in your posts!
Optimize for search
Don't go too crazy with SEO, but it is the one form of blog promotion that works when you're not working on it. You can approach SEO like a human. Create original content. Make sure your blog posts have keywords, think about how YOU use search engines and work your posts to be found through search. Include ALT tags on your images. Link to other posts in your blog. See, nothing too crazy!
Promote Your Post
Ah, the final bit… Promoting your post. Whatever you do DO NOT go to a million blogs commenting “Visit my blog… here's my post!” There ARE many different ways to promote your blog, here are a few:
- Social media: Promote to your networks on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Build an email newsletter list, and promote to your subscribers
- Make social media “follow” buttons easy to find
- Pitch your post to the press
- Create an infographic
- Create a download or a printable
- Pitch your post to other bloggers
[Image credit: Shutterstock.com]