Facetune: Friend or Foe to the World of Selfies?

facetune demo app fashion blogger selfie photoshop

Years ago, I went to a blogger event in Chicago. Upon meeting a few bloggers I had known online, one of the bloggers said something that took me aback.

She said, “Oh, from your images, I thought you were a college girl.”

I joked, that she meant I was OLD. But you see, I used to Photoshop my images to try make myself look “perfect.” I hadn't realized that I was doing so to the point where I didn't look like I did in real life.  Sure, as I've gotten older, my love for taking selfies has dwindled. It's opened a whole new can of worms in terms of my own insecurities. Plus, selfies don't do so well on my Instagram account. So there it is.

Anyway… Recently I came across this new iPhone app on Look Sharp, Sconnie, (don't worry you Android users, it's coming to you soon!) called Facetune. Facetune is a photo-editing app that is really revolutionary in the way of making photo retouching super simple. Just tap the image to smooth, address your hyperpigmentation, or hey, even fill in your hair a bit. What's more, is that once you get to know what the tool does, you'll start to notice it's prevalence in the world of selfies. People are really loving getting their faces tuned.

Even though I'm very open about my 39 years of age, in this world of the “flawless no-makeup-selfie” (did you see JLo???) I'm wondering if it really matters that you're not wearing makeup if you have great photo retouching skills. Of course we ALL want to put our best face forward, but does retouching to the point of “flawlessness” hinder authenticity?

Sure, of course I LOVE how I look retouched. I wish I could look like that in real life. The reality is that I STILL use Photoshop to make minor “corrections” that I feel hinder the look of the photo. The line is still fuzzy, and a case by case basis.

Seriously, what is the difference between wearing makeup and retouching your photo? Or getting a facial, laser, plastic surgery, teeth whitening, hair dyed… Whatever peeps are doing these days. Perhaps at the end of the day, we just want to BELIEVE perfection exists, and feel lied to when we discover it doesn't.

1. Violet Reine

I don’t do selfies or even use my own image on my blog, but I look at them an awful lot, and I do mean awful. Yes, I think most of them are awful. But it’s the nature of the beast. Very few people know how to take one that looks any good! And yet I have seen quite a few posts that tell you how to do it well! Even young, pretty things look awful in them. But, if you are going to take one and use it, use it untouched. Otherwise you are going to get the remarks such as you got! Or others of that sort! Or if you do have to do something to it, keep it to the blur factor. Don’t change your face! Those wrinkles are character lines that you have earned in your years of living. They show that you use your face. Those gray or white hairs you have you have earned. They are called wisdom highlights. Each one is a lesson you learned in life. So why would you want to hide any of that? Otherwise, get a photo of something else to post!

2. Kali

I really dislike selfies and don’t ever do them. For me, having a fashion blog is about the details in the clothing and the overall vibe of an outfit (not just my face). However, if you are going take and retouch your selfies, I think it’s okay so long as it’s done minimally. Afterall, I retouch my blog photos but only for minor things – a hair flying across my face, lessening the veins in my neck that pop out when I smile – hah!

3. Monique

I think selfies are impossible also. I’d much rather just use a camera and get a self action shot of me doing something interesting.

4. Lollie Shopping

I use the PhotoWonder app, which does exactly what you’re talking about. However, you can adjust the amount of touch-up you’re getting. So, yes, if you’re concerned with looking too touched up to the point where you just don’t look like yourself, you can adjust for minimal touching up, which is what I do. The other thing to consider is bad lighting, which is usually the case with selfies. Misplaced shadows can also make you look like an unreal version of you, just as much as too much touching up can. I think it’s okay to use apps that touch up photos, especially if you’re using it to counteract bad lighting and shadows. Why not?

5. Carla

Since I am a fitness blogger (yes, I still hang out here though. You all are awesome!) I have a no touch up rule. I think it is unfair to Photoshop in any way shape or form and then say “hey, do my workout, eat what I eat”. What you see is what you get with my photos. Perhaps it’s not all that great since I’m 44 but there are too many young women (and older women) out there with eating disorders and various self esteem issues for me to make myself look like something I’m not.

6. Chelsey

I’ve never liked taking selfies. Like a comment above noted, since I have a fashion blog the pictures are more about the clothes…my face just happens to be in them. Even when I manage to actually take one it’s usually to show something new or different, like a lip color I love or a new hair color. I’ve never been a big fan of editing details in my pictures because I find it to look too artificial; instead, I always adjust the saturation, contrast, and brightness to get the desired effect.

But I will say, if you have to take a selfie then the tried and true ‘bathroom lighting selfie’ circa Myspace days provides the most flattering lighting. That way minimal photo editing is needed.

7. Ana

I think retouching is fine but not everything. The instagram filter is enough, right? Otherwise it looks fake and is pretty disappointed when you met the girl and you realize that she is wearing more photoshop than make up.

LAZYCATSTYLE

8. Ana

LAZYCATSTYLE

9. I'esha GaptoothDiva

I never considered bloggers altering their looks digitally so much, that they transformed into a better looking version of themselves. On one hand that disappoints me, because it’s more news about the slowly dying concept of authenticity. On the other hand, I feel better about myself because the most I do is use the first filter in Instagram. I’m not perfect at all, but I like my face. Is blogging so cut throat that we have to erase imperfections for views? Everyone is so beautiful in their own way, I enjoy bloggers who celebrate those unique aspects of themselves while making me wish I could shop with them. Makeup or not, let’s keep it 100.

10. Roxanne

I take a few selfies from time to time for Instagram. And by selfies I don’t really mean the hand on the hip pouty face selfie, but I focus only on my lip colour and neckpiece most of the time. So it’s more of a detailed shot that my face.
    Also while my face is NOT perfect, I still refrain from apps that add make up and blur the skin to show smoothness, because I think it’s a bit too much. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve downloaded them to heck them out, I’ve edited my pictures and ‘died laughing’ at the results, and the only people who see those ridiculous over-done faces of mine are my family and my bf.
    But I edit all my images via VSCO cam, so I don’t really need any other editing app.

11. Jen

I second Lollie Shopping in that I also use Photowonder and like that you can vary how drastic the touch-up is. I don’t mind it–filters are a girl’s best friend! I’d love to look naturally gorgeous in every shot but for the days when that doesn’t happen, I don’t mind a little touching up!

12. Violet Reine

I don’t do selfies or even use my own image on my blog, but I look at them an awful lot, and I do mean awful. Yes, I think most of them are awful. But it’s the nature of the beast. Very few people know how to take one that looks any good! And yet I have seen quite a few posts that tell you how to do it well! Even young, pretty things look awful in them. But, if you are going to take one and use it, use it untouched. Otherwise you are going to get the remarks such as you got! Or others of that sort! Or if you do have to do something to it, keep it to the blur factor. Don’t change your face! Those wrinkles are character lines that you have earned in your years of living. They show that you use your face. Those gray or white hairs you have you have earned. They are called wisdom highlights. Each one is a lesson you learned in life. So why would you want to hide any of that? Otherwise, get a photo of something else to post.

13. Cindy

I use GoSexy app. It looks natural and the effects are really amazing.

14. Courtney

Using photoshop is such a tricky thing I feel like what it comes to bloggers. Especially bigger bloggers. I don’t think its really fair to use it to the point where you don’t look like yourself, especially since I’m sure people would be comparing themselves to a unrealistic standard. With that being said, I DO use some photoshop if I have a breakout (just because I feel like it takes away from the photography) but thats as far as I think I would ever go

15. Brooke Creech

When I started doing Youtube, I realized that people were going to see my deep-set laugh lines and little starter crow’s feet. I’m only 26, but with two kids stealing my sleep time I’m certainly not looking any younger as I go on. I decided against retouching my photos. I want other women to see me as I am and not worry about their own fine lines when “spending time with” me. The only retouching I’ve ever been guilty of doing is for portraits that I use for avatars: My front teeth were damaged and are covered in composite from the repair. Composite turns brown as time goes on and has to be resurfaced every few years, so for they’re-going-everywhere photos, I do occasionally do a little bit of tooth whitening.