6 Things to do This Year to Make Your Blog (& Life) Better

shutterstock_127000748

So…it's 2015. Now what? If you're like me (hopefully you're not sick too!) you have a long list of things you'd like to do this year, both to grow your blog, and to enrich your life. Before you start tackling change and improvements, be sure and take some time to celebrate your accomplishments.

Then, go for the gusto, smartly:

Don't just make resolutions, make habits

Ever get overwhelmed mid-January trying to change too many things at once and give up on trying to keep ANY of your resolutions? Yeah, I've been there too. Instead of tackling a list of 20 things you want to work on this year all at once, try focusing on one at a time, make that a habit, then move on to the next thing you want to change. You're more likely to keep a habit longer term if you're committed and focused.

Hold yourself accountable more often

Start taking baby steps towards your goals and checking in on how you're doing more often than the once a month, or year. If you take just a few minutes a day or week to make sure you're following the right path toward your goals, you're more likely to reach them; that sense of accomplishment is HUGE – no matter how small.

Find your tribe

The more I work on my own, the more important it is to me that I have a community of people who understand what I do and why I do it I can turn to for advice, or just to comiserate. Your tribe doesn't have to be “in person” – it can be virtual – but life as a blogger can get lonely if you're on your own, and your family and/or real-life friends can't relate. Having a support group will help you go a long way towards reaching long-term blogging goals.

Go outside your comfort zone

Try new things, whether it's starting to take outfit posts, covering more local fashion events, or writing longer posts. Going outside your comfort zone as often as possible will push you to be better at everything, see things in different ways, and generally be more interesting!

Simplify

2015 is the year of minimalism; everyone's talking about it. You don't have to move into a tiny house, or dramatically pare down your wardrobe to do it, either. As a blogger, you can simplify your blog's design, making it easier to navigate and read, and removing extra “clutter” that takes too long to load or distracts readers from your content. If you're so inclined, you can try and simplify in real-life too; donate clothes, work on living with less, whatever – and document your journey for your blog.

Tune out the noise

Last but not least, by any means, if you haven't already, quit paying attention to all the noise around you – good and bad. Focus on what you want to accomplish, keep your head down, and work hard to achieve your goals. Worrying too much about what everyone else is doing will get you no closer to success than just doing the work…

[Image credit: Shutterstock.com]

1. Brooke Vlasich

All great reminders to take everything one step at a time. I often find I get overwhelmed by so many things to take on, and I’m beginning to see how more effective it is to take everything in smaller pieces. It means there’s more to celebrate throughout the year.

2. TlvBirdie

Very nice article! I couldn’t agree more with your thoughts on minimalism, unnecessary noise, meaning of community and pushing the boundaries of comfort zone! These are all the things I’ve started doing the last year, but just going to sharpen these from now on..

On of my resolutions for 2015 is “less plan,more action”, as I tend to find myself making lists, lists and more lists and spending less time on creative part sometimes (which is actually the top priority for me). I’ve blogged about it here if someone would be interested: Call for starting the new week perfectly motivated : http://tlvbirdie.com/2015/01/new-year-resolutions-blogging-plans.html

Oly | TLV Birdie Blog

3. Nailah

Such a great read! This will be a list I come back to throughout the year to remind me to stay on track.

4. Elise Xavier

Absolutely one of the best new years/resolution related posts I’ve ever read.

I completely agree on each one of these points, though I do find that first one most helpful. In the past few months, that message has really been hitting home. You really do have to try to embed habits in your life as opposed to making a couple of resolutions and hoping they stick. It’s very true.

5. tomoko

mmmm great tips… Since I just started my blog, it’s good to know not to overwhelm and keep going a little by little… Thanks!

6. Gracious Store

“Don’t just make resolutions, make habits” I buy the idea! May be I am the only one in the face of the Earth who never make a new year resolution. I made in the past but never followed through, so I stopped. Rather all through the year I try to form good habits that I carry over from year to year.

7. Onianwah

The good thing is that I have started doing some of these already. It actually feels good to know that daily I am accomplishing tasks and God willing I will be able to keep this up till the end of the quarter and give myself a good pat on the back.
    I’m also giving a try at going outside my comfort zone. I think this is very key for me too as I have been a beauty blogger for years and years, a little fashion and natural hair won’t hurt right? lol

Barbara
    Lagos, Nigeria

8. Hilmarie

I am really taking into consideration the “find your tribe” and the “go outside your comfort zone”. The first one already on my way by joining IFB, I think that finding a community is really important to kind of make your journey full circle. Now, going outside my comfort zone should be an exciting try! Looking forward to tackling that one!

9. Adrian

Great advice. I definitely need to work on finding my tribe. I will definitely be implementing these tips.

10. Saltana Bekturova

I enjoy reading this post. Simple yet effective tips to a flying start into the New Year! My favourite tip is about tuning out the noise – definitely will try to focus on this aspect more, as it can get overwhelming at times.

11. Melody Sours

Great article! I’ve printed it out and plan to post it in my office.
    I’ve simplified my to do lists and break them down weekly. As a blogger and business owner, this has been quite a challenge. Instead of looking at my over all to do list everyday, I give myself 3 to 5 important things to tackle per week. Then I build my daily lists accordingly.

I’m working on tuning out the noise. This will also help simplify my list. In the past I’d look at what other people were doing & feel the need to immediately accomplish the same. This had me bombarding my to do lists which became stifling and made me feel stuck.

Melody