How One Blogger Took on the Oprah Empire

curvyfashionista

As fashion bloggers, we are individuals trying to build our followings. Sometimes big magazines and publishing companies seem to dwarf us in size as well as influence. But a Brooklyn-based writer has proven that even with a relatively small following, a single fashion blogger can influence even the largest media operation: in this case, Oprah magazine.

When Tamar Anitai, who blogs at Fashion Binge, noticed an article with a section about crop tops in the publication, she took to her Instagram account. When should you wear a crop top, the blurb asked? “If (and only if!) you have a flat stomach.” Say what?

Anitai's response was a photo of the article with a pretty great caption:

Can I get an amen? Anitai's post led to the hashtag #rockthecrop, in which, you guessed it, women of all shapes and sizes sport short shirts. See The Curvy Fashionista above (who also awesomely wears one in her “About” page photo, and several others IGers below:

The article in question, by the way, was written by Adam Glassman as part of his Adam Says column. He has also written about his beliefs that women over 40 shouldn't wear mini skirts and that women in the workplace shouldn't show cleavage. So yeah, we' weren't listening to him anyway.

Photo via The Curvy Fashionista

1. Maggie A

Am I the only one who thinks this was just a media stunt? I can’t imagine such a reputable magazine can / will purposely print something so offensive. Either way it makes for good conversation.

• Kristen Philipkoski

Hmm I hadn’t thought of that! It doesn’t read to me as a publicity stunt though, it would seem a bit out of character for Oprah mag… but definitely makes for good conversation!

2. Lauren Jade Martin

Wow…it’s hard to really find words….blanket statements like are just so insulting and also so inaccurate. Like illustrated in the article, women of all types can rock different types of clothes. It’s all about dressing for your body. I’ve seen girls with flat stomachs look awful in a crop tops. Its a matter of dressing for your body type and figuring out what works/doesn’t and what makes you feel the best! 😀
    xx

Lauren Jade
    Lauren Jade Lately
    ‘Simplifying Life, Maximizing Happiness’

3. Lady Nancy

If this is for real, then it’s awful, what does that say about Oprah who’s supposed to be an inspiration to millions? Although, one shouldn’t even ask such a question as: could I pull off this or that, if you like it and feel good then that’s all that matters!
    Nancy

4. ahhhsoneo

I hate to be the dissenting voice, but not everyone looks good in a crop top, minis or leggings. A tummy bulging from in between the bottom of a crop top and the top of a skirt/pants looks uncomfortable and just not good. And this can happen with the skinniest to curviest of girls. Unless you plan on standing up all the time, crop tops are not a good idea for probably 95% of women… and yes I’m a woman.

5. Onianwah

Gosh! I literally have no comments on the article apart from that. It’s so demeaning.
    You know, I’m always amazed when I remember that Marilyn Munroe – the sexiest female ever – was not perfect. Thank goodness, we are now bold enough to stand for ourselves if not it’s easy to be cowered by such a big publication.
    Generalization is quite demeaning, can they please just stop it.

Barbara
    Lagos, Nigeria

6. Gracious Store

It is wonderful that one blogger single handedly took on the Oprah empire that is marvelous. I don’t care what the shape of any woman might be, but I am always of the opinion that we all should either individually or collectively promote dresses or clothing that enhances the dignity and integrity of womanhood, and not anything that may tarnish or diminish our integrity or dignity and personal image in anyway.

No one should tell us what to wear but in making our choices let us all be aware that we speak volumes about ourselves through the very simply clothing we put on our body. With our clothing we tell people what they should think of us and how they should treat and respond to us as ladies.

7. Marissa

I was so disappointing in Oprah’s magazine for that!! I actually made a similar blog post in response to that too – my tummy definitely isn’t flat but I’ll be damned if that’s going to stop me from wearing crop tops!

xx Marissa

8. Sheela Goh

Just this morning, I questioned donning a crop top for a blog post shoot, both in terms of my body size as well as my age. Although I did eventually wear the piece, I should not have had any doubt. Period. Wear what you love. Wear it with joy. Wear it loud and proud.