Photo via PopSugar
Trends tend to have short shelf lives, but from the looks of Spring 2016 NYFW-goers, there’s one that’s proving to have some impressive staying power: the small (but mighty) neck scarf. WhoWhatWear dubbed the classic, throwback look the “neckerchief” back in summer 2013. But here we are two years later and stylish ladies are still rocking itty bitty scarves in droves, and at the massive street style opp that is NYFW, no less.
Styled up for the shows in all manner of ensembles, the looks feel as fresh now as they did then. So we’re taking notes. Here are some interesting ways to wear neck scarves, whether you’re looking to spruce up a tee or button down, add some French flair, complement your necklaces or make an LBD extra classy. Take a look—and let us know your favorite ways to wear it in the comments.
1. The statement bandana is a cool alternative to the statement necklace. It adds a touch of boho to the otherwise edgy look. Image via Harper’s Bazaar
2. This look is actually from the streets of the Milan Fashion Week shows. The unbuttoned shirt creates a deep v-neckline and the scarf, tied in the front, almost acts like a layered necklace in conjunction with the longer one. Sexy. Image via Vogue
3. Channeling French-girl chic with a striped top and an off-center scarf tied close to the neck. Image via New York Magazine
4. A casual bandana dresses down the ladylike blouse. Image via Popsugar
5. The hairstyle, the knotted scarf, the easy LBD…it doesn’t get much more sophisticated than this. Image via Vogue
6. There are a lot of styles going on here: preppy, ‘70-inspired, Americana, but somehow it all works. The longer knotted bandana helps to tie it all together. Image via W Magazine