Welcome to this week's IFB member spotlight! Each Friday we feature an IFB member we want to get to know better and share his or her story.
Who: Laura Valuta
What: Laura Valuta
Where: Riga, Latvia
A self-described rebel with a great passion for makeup art, 29-year-old Laura isn’t your typical makeup artist. She is also a student, a pro hair stylist and personal stylist all rolled into one. She loves to travel and considers herself lucky to earn a living doing what she truly loves: hair and makeup.
Laura’s blog features an eclectic mix of fashion, beauty, and lifestyle posts. We love her fun makeup ideas and fitness challenges. Check out our interview with Laura below to learn more about her busy life, her style, favorite makeup products of the moment, and travel plans.
1. When and why did you start your blog?
“Quite a long time ago, around 6 years. I started blogging to save all the interesting products and pictures that could eventually be necessary for me in my work or daily life—all beauty and fashion related.”
2. Do you blog full time or do you also have a day job?
“I blog almost full time, but I am not a full-time blogger. I am a full-time makeup artist and stylist.”
3. How do you manage to fit blogging into your schedule?
“If you love something then you find time for it. I don’t even need to find the time. I really love it and I hope that in the future I can blog more than work as I want to show and share so much cool stuff.”
4. How did you first become interested in makeup?
“I was a photo model and I liked how makeup could change my look without actually changing me. Then I realized that I could do it too.”
5. How would you describe your style?
“I am such an eclectic. I love sneakers and at the same time heels; I love dresses and ripped jeans. I love black and at the same time pastels. So, I go from a punk girl to a lady. I look like I feel and I feel so different every day.”
6. What are some of your favorite makeup products of the moment?
“Oh, I’m loving Gosh foundation drops for dry skin. It’s an amazing foundation! I love all highlighters because there can never be too much glow 😉 And I’m also loving Inglot HD Matte lipsticks, and the Urban Decay smokey eyeshadow palette.”
7. Do you have any exciting travel plans coming up?
“Yes, I will visit Milan this month. I think Milan is the most fashionable place in the world. Italians have perfect taste in everything! My soul loves all that glamour ;)“
8. If you were given a free trip anywhere, where would it be?
“At the moment I would choose Thailand—warm, sunny, water, palm trees and delicious food.”
9. Are you monetizing your blog? What do you find works best for you?
“I use google analytics but I blog for myself only, and I am not chasing after followers. I create content that I like and I believe in, and I don’t pay attention to numbers. Maybe I should, but I never liked math :D”
10. What would you say makes your blog stand out from all the others?
“I am a pro stylist and makeup artist, working full time at 2 jobs + freelancing, attending University and everything I own I have achieved on my own. So my blog is kind of the insight of a strong happy, single woman who lives the life of beauty. The real me, no photoshop 😉 !”
11. If you could describe the look and feel of your blog in one word, what would it be?
12. If you could have a drink with anyone in the fashion world, who would it be?
“Oh, my…too many! 😀 This is a tough one, but if I have to choose I would go with Diane Von Furstenberg, she is amazing!”