During the process of writing an article for your blog, an important (if not the most important) step is proofreading. Before you publish your post, it's essential that you proofread it. Proofreading doesn't mean you simply skim over your post, proofreading means that you thoroughly read your post, word by word.
When proofreading, act as if you didn't write the post and that you're a reader reading the post for the first time. This technique will help you realize if the post is too confusing, or if your main idea is clearly written or not.
While proofreading, there are many things to keep in mind:
- Ask yourself, “Did I spell this word correctly?” Even if there's just a small question in your mind on whether or not you spelled a word correctly, I would advise you to go ahead and check the spelling anyways.
- If you're proofreading and you come across a sentence or two that doesn't clearly state the idea your trying to get across, I would suggest that you try wording it differently. The main purpose of your post should be for the reader to understand the post easily and clearly.
- Make sure what you're proofreading doesn't just drag along. Your post shouldn't be soporific, it should be full of life! People should want to re-read your article again, and again!
- If you aren't already, strive to use paragraphs. Try to refrain from writing just one long block of words. Use paragraphs to group together similar ideas and thoughts.
- Don't rely on spell check to do all the proofreading for you! Many words that you may have misspelled are probably real words themselves, so spell check won't underline them with that red squiggly line. The best spell checker is yourself!
- Try sending the post to a trusted friend. Ask him/her to read the post and to give you his/her ideas on it. This technique works very well because different people see different things. The point of view of a writer on their article is probably very different then the point of view of a reader on the same article.
Remember, the reason you're writing your post is to transfer your opinion to your reader. The easier and clearer you write your post, the more people will want to read it. If you keep these tips in mind you'll be sure to come off as a concise and well written blogger.