A brand essence isn’t something that is easy to communicate – instead, it’s a few words (the fewer the better), that communicates the feeling that your brand evokes. Unlike your visual identity, or a tagline, your brand essence is the intangible, often ephemeral or instinctual response that your audience experiences when they engage with your brand. For bloggers, the pursuit of defining a brand essence offers clarity in that illusive, slippery road of figuring out how to communicate your distinct point of view.
Your brand essence is typically not something shared publicly, and it is often grounded in a long-term vision of where you see your blog going. As an example, Hallmark’s brand essence is the phrase, Enriching Lives. They use this terminology to guide the choices the company makes, from products to how they treat employees. Guess? sums up their brand essence in three words: wonder, passion and freedom.
Ready to employ some soul-searching to get to core of your blog essence? Consider the following questions/exercises and then put what you come up with in the comments!
1. When someone reads my blog, they feel _______________
2. Unlike [name of a blog that is different, or similar to yours], my blog is __________________
3. Stick your About Page and a favorite post into a Wordle. Which words have the most emphasis?
4. If my blog was a clothing brand, the people who would wear it would be ___________________________
5. What do you stand for? What do you stand against? Play around with sentences that start with “In my world __________” or “I believe in _________________” or “I am tired of _____________”
6. Tony Hsieh, Zappos’ CEO, said, “We’re a service company that just happens to sell shoes.” Try “I’m a __________________ that just happens to blog.”
Did you uncover anything good? Right now, I’m working with “encouraged,” “championed,” and “roused.” Any thoughts there?
[Image credit: Shutterstock.com]