Blog giveaways are a huge phenomenon. They have seem to have sprung out of nowhere, and have done so for many reasons. They raise your hits, they attract attention, they encourage commenting. They can even be used to attract subscribers and reinforce your blogs overriding theme. I know of one blog who gives out regular makeup/beauty gifts as provided for reviews/competitions by her willing sponsors, and I myself have recently given out a vintage themed item.
This article aims to do two things. Firstly, it will define a number of different blog competitions. Secondly, it will hopefully allow you to successfully publicize your giveaway, and give it maximum exposure.
So why do a giveaway? There are two main reasons, although everyone has individual aims and expectations.
We have probably all done it – been attracted to follow a link with promises of giveaways and rewards. Thousands of people the world over do exactly the same! If you want lots of hits and free publicity, hosting a competition (particularly if the prize is great, of course!) will attract many people. Hopefully, some of them will stay around once the giveaway is gone! This works especially well if you have a subscriber link – all new subscribers could be entered into the draw – really encouraging them to get involved for a long time!
Blogging is a world built on reciprocal behaviour. Etiquette suggests that you comment back when someone comments on you posts, and dictates that linking to you means at least acknowledging that link. There are no hard and fast rules, of course, but giving tends to turn into receiving. Very Karmic! Offer readers something in return for being a loyal follower not only makes you feel great, but could make someone’s day!
So you’ve decided a giveaway is your thing, and you want to take the steps to make it happen. Remember that big giveaways can be coordinated with sponsors or companies looking to do some promoting, and it is worth contacting people if you don’t already have an item to give, or can’t afford to buy one. Check out LittleBirdie on the IFB site! Don’t be afraid, however, to do giveaways for little prizes – there will always be people who want them to complete their world!
These tips will help you successfully promote your competition.
- Mention your giveaway before you actually do it. Let people know, and get them returning to see when it starts.
- Pre-promote – send out an email alert to any followers, Twitter it, update it as your status on facebook.
- Pack your giveaway blog post with key words. Giveaway, free competition, prizes, freebies – all of these will work. Also ensure that you add your tags and categories. You want your blog to show up in as many searches as possible!
- Describe your prize, deadline, conditions etc. The more info people know, the more likely they are to enter themselves, or put your competitions on their sites.
- Publicise. Once your competition is up and running you need to start trawling the forums. If you are giving away a vintage item, for example, visit vintage forums and become a member – then report your competition there. Add it to any blog freebie sites you use or come across in Google, and also onto forums such as Moneysavingexpert.com. Finally, remember the people running blogs listing giveaways – you can officially submit your competition to any number of these.
- Finally, make sure that you don’t just post your competition and forget about it – that means anyone who comes onto your blog a few posts down the line will completely miss it. Keep linking back to it in future posts in order to encourage the back and forth flow of traffic.
So now you know all the secret tips – and the lovely IFB members will be able to tell you more on the Forums if you need some specific help. Go forth and give!