Ever since Facebook unveiled timeline and its subsequent IPO filing, we have noticed that the platform has gotten, well, a little quiet. Stale, even.
While it used to be the place to be (hello 2008), the platform has become another part of the social media movement instead of the pioneer of the movement, thanks to the influx of Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, etc. However, while others are quick to jump the Facebook ship, we don't want to say goodbye to it. I mean, we have some serious ties to the platform. It was the only place us college kids could hang out in the veil of privacy that MySpace could never offer. And remember the good old days when mom & dad weren't on the platform? Yeah, good times.
We can't ignore the pull we have to Facebook, and crazy enough, the site is still a top referral traffic driver for most brands and even bloggers. So, with users spending 34% less time on the social platform, it's up to you, the blogger and brand, to figure out a way to keep your Facebook fans engaged.
How can you do this?
1. Use your insights to get, well, insight. We look at our insights everyday. Not kidding. Every day. Why? Because understanding your fans behavior is crucial to developing engaging content. If they respond to your outfit posts better at night, you know then that your fans are online night owls. If they don't really enjoy your beauty posts then maybe rethink your blog's content strategy or figure out how to better tailor your content on Facebook specifically. If you have a big following in the UK, maybe highlight more news or London-based trends. Whatever you end up doing, see who your reader is and actually get to know them. You won't regret it.
2. Use better graphics. We as humans are visual creatures. We want to see things, not just read them. When you are sharing your next post, use a specifically-sized image that demonstrates your point in a brand-focused way. We love the Who What Wear page because the graphics are the right size and clearly show off the content they are promoting.
3. Make the most of Timeline's features. Many bloggers have yet to use Timeline's features to the best of their advantage and the new framework has been out for months! Come on, guys, get exploring. Show off your finest blogging moments (magazine features, brand work, favorite posts) on Timeline. Change your cover photos to match your week's content or overarching monthly themes. Add specific apps that will enhance your fan's experience like video or photo galleries.
4. Gamify. Don't be sacred of this word, even though it does evoke images of nerdy guys camping out with their World of Warcraft gear in front of a monitor spacing out. No, the world of social media gamification is ultra stylized now, with brands like Burberry and DKNY stepping up to the plate and using gaming to communicate with their users. Adding simple gamification elements like scavenger hunts, quizzes, polls, and more will get your fans involved.
5. Time your posts accordingly. To be honest, the highest Facebook engagement time are outside of business hours. Seriously though, when are you on Facebook? Before or after work, right? Exactly. Timing your posts to go live during the evening or on Thursday or Friday are the best ways to get your readers attention when sharing your posts. To go even further, why not pose questions during these posts and comment on your readers thoughts. That's right, engage with your readers. Amazing, huh?
That's just a brief summary of how you can engage with your Facebook community. We highly recommend you go out and do your research. Find out how and why other brands are working with their Facebook readers. Keep up with new updates and games and be passionate about your Facebook outreach! Readers can tell when your heart just isn't into it so be sure that you truly want to engage with your fans.