These days you couldn't get a degree in blogging if you wanted to. While the blogging industry is growing, it's still a fledgling career path, however that doesn't mean there couldn't be a degree built especially for people wanting to become professional internet junkies.
I like to tell people that want to get a blogging education to get a degree in Graphic Design. It's no secret that bored graphic designers make up a good chunk of the blogging community. I know, I used to be a graphic designer. It sounds counter-intuitive, being as most graphic design schools don't have blogging classes and several journalism programs these days have a blogging elective. From what I've seen though that graphic designers learn in their education are a few vital skills, like Web Design, Branding, Film and Video, Photography, my design classes also included Freelancing. That said there is still a lot missing from what would make an ideal degree for bloggers.
Here are some classes that would make for great Bachelor's in Blogging:
- Web Design 101: If you have to set up a blog, you probably should familiarize yourself with some basic principles of graphic design on the web. Even though most templates are ready to use, you'll still have to do some amount of customization to make everything come together right.
- Journalism: I really wish I had taken this course in college, but it was impossible the way the courses were structured. However, I can say learning how to source stories, write them, and edit are all very important for bloggers. Without content, you really don't have anything.
- Photography: No matter what kind of blog you have, at some point you will need to take a photo. Learning how to work a camera, how to compose a photo, and how to make it look amazing will help you communicate your message to the increasingly short attention spanned audience.
- Video & Motion Graphics: This could end up a whole series of classes, but trust me, taking this class will make your makeup tutorials look so much more amazing.
- Branding 101: I took a class for “Designing Identities” which basically boiled down designing logos, understanding how to create a visual brand, which becomes vital to distinguishing your blog from everything else out there.
- Journalism Ethics: Having a good sense of ethics is not only a good thing to do because it's the right thing to do, it will also keep you out of trouble, and help you keep your credibility.
- Freelancing Workshop: One of the most helpful workshops I attended in college was a freelancing workshop. This is where a professional came in and told us the ropes, how to charge, where to get contracts, and how to build a business. Some of the things I learned in that workshop really stayed with me to this day.
- Intro Marketing: Creating all this fantastic content is only half of the game, the other part is how to get the word out about your great blog. This class will help you get on your feet!