Yesterday, Mashable created a guide to choosing the best Instagram filter for your photos. To follow up, we’ve taken it one step further: the fashion blogger Do’s and Don’ts to Instagram. Check out our tips below, and feel free to share your tips in the comments.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Instagram
1. Do create a distinct style for your social media voice and blog by using similar techniques frequently, but don’t be boring.
2. Do pay attention to the details, it’s a great way to make an interesting photograph in a bland situation.
3. Do try for creativity, but don’t over do it. Go ahead and add hearts or sun flares to a photo, but you probably don’t need it on every single one. Keep things fresh.
4. Do reveal “behind the scenes” of your day to day. That’s the beauty of social media, you don’t need a camera crew to show your followers what you are up to.
5. Do use Instagram to promote posts, but don’t only promote posts. People are following your account to see more than just what they can find on your blog, give ‘em something to talk about!
6. Don’t over saturate your feed, but do plan and spread out your uploads. You may lose followers if you “binge upload” and clutter your readers’ feeds, so save up some of those gem photos for a slower day.
7. Do participate in commonly used hashtags, like #throwbackthursday, so users who may not be familiar with your blog can find you while trolling.
8. Do use it to brand yourself. Do you want to show personal moments in your private life? Or keep your account more professional? Perhaps that photo of you doing tequila shots isn’t the image you want to portray…or maybe it is.
9. Do think about composition. Even a seemingly average photo can be enhanced if you give it a different perspective.
10. And finally, DO follow us @_ifb to see what’s going on in the fashion blogging community!