So you want to be a fashion blogger…or you already are. Here are some important best practices pulled from the wealth of IFB archives, from the simple (be nice!!) to the more technical (how to do competitive analysis right):
Be Open, Honest & Nice
ALWAYS, always, always disclose the relationships between what you're wearing/posting about and sponsors, share as much of yourself as you're willing to, and deal with negativity on your blog effectively:
- Fashion Blogger's guide to gifting and product reviews
- Blog disclosures made easy
- Getting your readers to know, like & trust you
- Maximize affiliate income without losing your soul
- Use your influence wisely
- How not to sell out your fashion blog
- 4 Ways to deal with negativity
Take the best pictures you can
There are tons of IFB articles about photography that are specifically aimed at fashion bloggers—and for good reason. The truth is, the images associated with your posts are just as (or more) important than your words, so choose them carefully. And before you get discouraged, you don't have to have a DSLR or Photoshop to take good photos, just a lot of determination!
Keep your blog design minimal
Minimal designs are easier to get around, and keep the focus on your content instead of extraneous stuff. And the old saying is true…the simpler, the better!
- What to look for when choosing a new blog theme
- 6 Simple design tweaks to make your blog better
- 3 Ways to keep it simple on your fashion blog
Identify & work within your niche and passion
One of the first, and most important things you should do when starting your fashion blog is define your niche:
Besides defining your niche, remember that no one does you like you do, so why would you try to do anyone else?? Don't compare yourself to other bloggers, unless you're doing competitive analysis, and keep your head down and work, focusing on what success means to you.
- 5 things to learn from Fashionista's top 20 style bloggers
- Achieving success as a blogger
- Blog like no one is reading
Be Smart on Social Media
- Where should you focus your social media efforts
- Where should you focus your social media efforts?
- 7 new ways to grow your Twitter following
- 28 IFB posts that make you an even better Instagrammer
- 7 essentials for marketing your blog on Instagram
- Ways to grow your blog on Pinterest
[Photo via Shutterstock]