The infamous feud between Millenials and Gen Z regarding skinny jeans will surely go down in history. Mom jeans don't have the higher ground either – they're considered old and frumpy, and most Boomers hate the sight of them. So what are we left with? One thing that all generations can agree on, the one pair to rule them all – boyfriend jeans!
If you're aiming for a relaxed and laid-back look, a pair of high-waisted, slightly tailored boyfriend jeans are the way to go. But the beauty of this style of jeans is the versatility – you can dress them up and down in seconds. Are you wondering how to do that? We're about to show you all the little secrets of the mighty boyfriend jeans.
Despite their seemingly effortless look, boyfriend jeans can be challenging to style. If you're still unsure how to style boyfriend jeans, we have prepared 10+ ways to style boyfriend jeans, suited for a range of different styles, aesthetics, and events. We'll also get into detail and discuss what boyfriend jeans are and the dos and don'ts of wearing boyfriend jeans! By the time you're done with this article, you'll be able to style any and all boyfriend jeans!
- What are Boyfriend Jeans & Why are They so Popular?
- How to Create the Perfect Boyfriend Jeans Outfit?
- 1. Minimalist Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with The White T-Shirt Classic
- 2. High Waisted Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Faux Fur Sweatshirt
- 3. Boyfriend Jeans and Heels Outfit with a Pair of Heeled Ankle Boots
- 4. The DEnim Set Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with an Oversized Boyfriend Jean Jacket
- 5. Holiday Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Boho Babe Kimono
- 6. Boyfriend Jeans Outfit For Summer with Open Toe Sandals
- 7. Smart-Casual Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with The Essential Button-Down White Shirt
- 8. 90s Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Tank Top
- 9. Winter boyfriend Jeans outfit with a Faux Fur Coat
- 10. Baggy Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Puffer Jacket
- 11. French-Style Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Silk Scarf
- 12. On Duty Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Blazer
- The Dos and Don’ts of Wearing Boyfriend Jeans
- Before you walk off into the sunset with your boyfriend jeans…
- Best Selling Boyfriend Jeans Outfits
What are Boyfriend Jeans & Why are They so Popular?
Borrowed from the boys, the boyfriend jean style looks slouchy and relaxed. Almost like you grabbed a pair of your boyfriend's jeans and went to the tailor for a personal fit. Male-inspired, yet feminine at the same time, boyfriend jeans have been around since the 60s, and Marilyn Monroe was never afraid of showing up in a pair of loose-fit jeans.
Many other celebrities have aced the baggy look, such as Katie Holmes, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Reese Witherspoon. Over the years, many different style iterations emerged, from a baggy grunge look to slim and structured styles.
Fashion trends have moved away from the once adored skinny supermodel look and transformed into a Kardashian voluptuous and curvy f. Styles that compliment yet cover up your curves are preferred. Boyfriend jeans have slouchy legs (so if you have short legs, make sure you wear heels, like ankled boots), and leave tons of space in the thigh area. They're ideal for women with big bums and curves.
Ever since Gen Z completely disowned the skinny jeans trend, more and more loose and oversized jeans emerged on the shelves of clothing stores. One question remains – how do you create the perfect boyfriend jeans outfit? In the section below, you'll find tons of ideas so you can create an inspiring look in a few easy steps!
How to Create the Perfect Boyfriend Jeans Outfit?
1. Minimalist Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with The White T-Shirt Classic
The plain white T-shirt and jeans, the good old James Dean look, can never go out of style. It's one of the most straightforward boyfriend jeans outfit ideas to achieve. Pair it with sneakers (I recommend a pair of Converse on New Balance), and grab a leather jacket for the evenings. This is also an easily achievable plus-size boyfriend jeans outfit!
2. High Waisted Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Faux Fur Sweatshirt
I am such a massive fan of these tops. I love the fabric and the design. You can wear boyfriend jeans with this girly top and have your waist accentuated. If you're like me and you have a tiny waist but large thighs, it's essential to wear clothes that don't cover your waist entirely. I'm not saying get your belly button out. Just don't cover it up with oversized jumpers and all that.
3. Boyfriend Jeans and Heels Outfit with a Pair of Heeled Ankle Boots
Heeled ankle boots? Yes, please! Anything to elongate the legs. If you have short legs, chances are some styles of boyfriend jeans might not help, so pairing them with fantastic ankle boots can make a difference. Of course, you can do the same with a pair of pumps if you're aiming for a professional look!
4. The DEnim Set Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with an Oversized Boyfriend Jean Jacket
We must all have an oversized boyfriend jean jacket in our closets. But in case you missed out on the 2012 Tumblr craze over this garment, here's a super cute one I found on Amazon. Match the denim with your boyfriend jeans, or grab a plain black pair of boyfriend jeans to achieve a consistent look. A graphic T-shirt goes well underneath the coat or even a tucked turtleneck.
5. Holiday Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Boho Babe Kimono
I recently looked at my closet, and I thought, what essentials am I missing? And I realized cardigans are nowhere to be found, and they can be such a valuable garment of clothing. With the right knit pattern or color combination, they can break up the monotony of any outfit. When it comes to boyfriend jeans, this boho kimono jacket is perfect if you're matching the relaxed fit of your jeans. Looking at it, it mentally transports me all the way to the beach. Imagine how cute you'd look in this while you're drinking margaritas at the cocktail bar! Yes, please!
6. Boyfriend Jeans Outfit For Summer with Open Toe Sandals
Open-toe sandals in a boyfriend jeans outfit – the perfect marriage! Any strappy sandals will fit your pair of boyfriend jeans, but I personally love these ergonomically designed sandals with a deep footbed. If you have a flat foot (also called pes planus, or fallen arch), you know that medial arch support is essential for all your shoes. Give your feet the treatment they deserve and say goodbye to uncomfortable heels!
7. Smart-Casual Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with The Essential Button-Down White Shirt
You can match your boyfriend jeans with a button-down white shirt if you're aiming for a smart-casual look. Your boyfriend jeans will add just the right amount of casual to an otherwise “proper” shirt so that you can enjoy a romantic dinner in the summer or a get-together with colleagues after work.
8. 90s Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Tank Top
This year, crop tops, tank tops, and baby tees are all the rage, as you probably already know from our spring 2022 fashion trends article. You can't go wrong showing off a bit of your waist this year, and what better way to do that than with your favorite crop top?
9. Winter boyfriend Jeans outfit with a Faux Fur Coat
Boyfriend jeans aren't a summer exclusive – they can look amazing matched with your favorite faux fur coat. If you don't have one yet, allow me to recommend this fluffy pink wonder. You need a turtleneck or bodysuit underneath, and you're set. By the way, you can get inspired by our bodysuit outfit ideas too!
10. Baggy Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Puffer Jacket
Do you want to look like you just don't care? Nothing says “talk to the hand” like a pair of baggy boyfriend jeans and a puffer jacket. Not only will you feel warm, but you'll also look like a total badass! Match the jacket with a pair of distressed boyfriend jeans (more commonly known as ripped jeans) and make your fashion statement!
11. French-Style Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Silk Scarf
If you're looking to add a bit of fun and class to your outfit, a colorful silk scarf can be the perfect accessory. Chic and feminine, this clothing garment never goes out of style. Whether you wear a blazer or a simple white T-shirt, the silk scarf adds sophistication to an otherwise plain look.
12. On Duty Boyfriend Jeans Outfit with a Blazer
Yes, you can even wear your boyfriend jeans to work (unless you're required a uniform). All you'll need is a blazer to help pull it off. I have selected a lilac-colored blazer, in the color “Very Peri,” selected to be the 2022 color of the year, just to make sure you're going with the current trends. Grab your favorite pumps, and you're ready to woo and wow your coworkers!
The Dos and Don’ts of Wearing Boyfriend Jeans
Much like with other clothing garments, there are things you should do and things you should never, ever do when wearing boyfriend jeans. Let's cover the basics.
- Do roll up your boyfriend jeans. This will make them look tidier.
- Do look for a tapered leg. If you're skinny, super straight-leg jeans can look too loose.
- Do experiment with washes. Different color jeans can fit a variety of figures; if you have a curvy figure, go with a ripped and loose fit.
- Do tuck in your top. The high waist is an essential aspect of boyfriend jeans. There's no point covering it up with your tops!
- Don't go crazy with the distressed boyfriend jeans. Showing too much skin can be a no-no.
- Don't wear your boyfriend's jeans. That's not what the look is about.
- Alternatively, don't let your boyfriend wear your boyfriend jeans. Here's what would happen if they tried.
- Don't wear knee-high boots over your boyfriend jeans. Trust me, it doesn't look good.
Do you have any boyfriend jeans dos and don'ts? Feel free to share your ideas in the comment section below!
Before you walk off into the sunset with your boyfriend jeans…
We hope you enjoyed our guide on how to wear boyfriend jeans. We write and research tons of different fashion trends, so if you like to dive into other subjects, allow me to point you in the right direction:
Spring is just around the corner, so make sure you've got a few long-sleeve dresses in your wardrobe! We discuss the long-sleeve dress in length in our article!
Last but not least, the recent return of the blue eyeliner look might just be the final touch you’ve been looking for to complete your boyfriend jeans look. Find out how to master the trend in our step-by-step guide.
Best Selling Boyfriend Jeans Outfits
Last update on 2022-10-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API