How To Use Storytelling To Boost Traffic
By: Taylor Davies

Use Your Blog to Tell A Story

I don’t know about you, but I have always been a voracious reader. Growing up I devoured series of novels like The Boxcar Children, The Babysitter’s Club and Harry Potter like it was nobody’s business. I’ve always been into novels more than non-fiction, probably because I love a good story. I love to be transported, to fall in love with characters and to be completely engrossed in what will happen next.

Use Your Blog to Tell A Story

If you think about it, writing blog is a lot like developing and telling a story. I keep coming back to this post from Copyblogger about how Downton Abbey can inspire narrative marketing, because I really think it’s helpful and inspiring, whether or not you’re a fan of the show. I focus a lot on the writting aspect of my personal blog, and people tell me it’s a huge part of why they visit. There are a lot of talented and stylish bloggers out there, but if you can weave a story and draw your readers in with dramatic content – you’ll put yourself miles ahead of your peers.

3 Easy Steps For Storytelling On Your Blog:

1. Set The Scene

• Whenever I write a post about an outfit I wore or highlight a product I love… And actually almost any time I write a post, I set the scene for my readers. I want them to know where I was, what I was doing, who I was with and why. I want to put my oufit in context, or show where I might take a certain handbag or wear a certain dress.
  • Try to paint a picture for your readers that goes beyond what they can see in your images. Tell them about the smells, and the sounds. Let them know why you are where you are, and what you’re going to do there. Hot tip: In an outfit post, use Instagram or scenic photos from that day to help illustrate the story of where you were, what you saw and what you did!
  • In a trend story, or a post that showcases a certain item that you love, illustrate an occasion or two that puts your content in a certain time, place, season or reason.

2. Illustrate Colorful Characters

• A key to great storytelling is creating compelling characters. In the case of your blog – that main character, the protagonist, the hero, the love interest… That’s you!
  • Give your readers someone to care about. Somone to root for. Someone to love. Visitors will keep coming back if they have a vested interest in what happens to you, or are at least curious.
  • You are so much more than the clothes you wear, as are your readers – so connecting with them on a personal level will help you relate and build a strong loyalty. Share only as much as you feel comfortable, but don’t be afraid to develop your character. The other elements of your life – your family, where you live, what you do for a living, your hobbies and your travels – they all help define your style!
  • Perhaps if you’re not comfortable divulging every facet of your personality, create a personality! If you’re creating a packing list for a spring break story or how to wear neon – tell your readers a little about the girl who’s wearing these things. Why is she wearing them, where will she go, who will she meet…

3. Bring The Drama

• Think about the phrase, “a real page-turner.” It’s a story that is so addictive and exciting that you have to read on and you must know more. This translates to action, intrigue and drama.
  • Whether it’s recounting an adventure or creating a seriously fierce outfit – drama gets readers excited, and it gets them sharing.
  • Not every post you write will be full of highs and lows and tragedy and comedy – but you can tell those kinds of stories through social media on a smaller scale. Mix a dose of daily life with a hint of adventure into as many of your channels as you can.
  • Create suspense when you can. Leave your readers hanging on the edge of their seat for your next post. Give them a hint or teaser of what’s to come, whether it’s a giveaway, a new outfit, you name it. Ways to do this include: showcasing part of an outfit on instagram; giving a hint at the end of a post; a colorful sentence or two on Twitter or updating your Facebook page status.

Try some of these tips in your next blog post. Transport your readers into the story of your life and your style.

Comments

1. soo says:

i like all the points to this post but i follow several blogs that have minimal verbiage/storytelling and mostly pictures…in fact, sometimes the only words on the page are the links to the article of clothing/accessories. this is the opposite of what this post challenges you to…so i guess i don’t know which direction i should take my blog. right now, the content consists mostly of pictures and very little words….and i kind of like that.

2. Rue Le Chat says:

I’ve made it my mission to paint a vivid picture in my posts. I think I’m able to create such picturesque scenes because I’m a bit of a dreamer…I’m actually a big dreamer. Imagination is key. Also, I love novels…I love the depth and journey of a good story and I adore flavorful characters. I recently blogged about escaping a wintery day for the tropics: http://www.ruelechat.com/2012/03/calgontake-me-away.html

3. Jenn Staz says:

I love these tips. I have been trying to be more personal with my blog posts, and using storytelling can help me more. However, if I’m just not feeling share-y that day, I won’t force it!

4. Shophopper says:

Well, I’d be very much surprised if all postmodern thinkers weren’t cheering IFB on from their graves after this article. I have to say, I’m far from delighted with it. Showing us how to use literary devices when writing – very helpful. But to encourage us to use them in constructing a persona for our blogs? That is quite another thing. Am I the only one to have read this with a bad taste in her mouth? Should we really all be enthralling, loveable, theatric? I like reading blogs because they’re the fruit of labour from real people, not products of marketing. This article is telling us, once again, how to market ourselves. I find I care less and less about this focus – what about content? Integrity? Honesty?

5. Audrey says:

This is a great post on how to incorporate good text in your blog. I enjoy reading blogs that have good write-ups along with pictures. I studied literature and I blog because of my love for fashion and style and also because I enjoy writing so this post has helped me learn how to incorporate my literary skills into my blog. I blog mainly to express myself and not just to attract followers. I don’t think it wise to view this and other posts as mere marketing tools. They can be used to improve your skills and in the end if your readers like what you post they will keep coming back for more.

6. Oh, this is a good wake up call for me, hihi! Good article and thanks for posting it!

Kaya-Quintana

7. Jess says:

I’m more of a visual person so agree with Soo’s point about visiting blogs with minimal story telling myself. I suppose it’s important to strike a balance though.

8. Thank you!! I’m such a visual oriented blogger that i rarely have time to develop a story… while i do enjoy blogs with mostly just images, it’s also nice to get some words (even if its just a song lyric to pull it all together!)

9. Lidia says:

I absolutely agree with you! When I started my blog in January, I had the same idea in mind… Although when I started following other attractive blogs I noticed that hardly anyone was doing any creative writing, so in my rescent posts I’ve just been posting images. I’m glad that I came across this post, because now I’m inspired to go back to “storytelling” :)

10. stylifiq says:

I do a little story telling on my blog but it’s not really my strong point. I do enjoy a good story once in a while

11. Style Hybrid says:

Good advice, but I think a great story can be told through strong visuals as much as through strong text. Text isn’t a prerequisite. Fashion is essentially visual storytelling, as designers reveal the story of the woman they’re dressing, all without saying a word.

So I’d say if words are your thing, great, tell a story with them, but if visuals are more your thing, then great, a picture is worth 1000 words. Make pictures that say what you want them to, and you can create a powerful mood as much as any descriptive opening paragraph can.

12. I think these are all such great points! I think being honest to yourself and writing style is very important too! Not to be fake or try to write who you think your readers will like…

13. Hi, Taylor! Very interesting this post! Thanks for sharing it! We are conducting precisely a study on storytelling, its characteristics, structure, advantages and others. If you want to dig deeper on this subject please don´t hesitate to visit our blog:

I hope and be of great use.
    Regards, The team of “Sopa De Hormigas”.

Trackbacks for this post